Wednesday 9 May 2007

Accident & Emergency

Well, plans can change quickly... on leaving Rhodes harbour I managed to catch my fingers in the anchor winch. The result was a lot of blood and the tip of my little finger ripped off while we were still hanging on the anchor! Poor Nic had to get the anchor up, redeploy it and remoor the boat. Meanwhile I bandaged up my hand and went up front to throw our lines ashore. The rest of the day was spent in hospital - not quite what we had foreseen that morning.

Unfortunately my little finger (left hand thankfully) was badly damaged and I have lost the first section but the surgeon has tried to rebuild a finger tip shape. All very Nip Tuck! There are stitches in the next 2 fingers too and my hand is bandaged and unusable. It brings a whole new meaning to single or short-handed sailing!

Since the stitches don't come out for 2 weeks we are going to delay going to Syria until after that. Current plan is to head to Kekova and take it easy. There we will be within easy distance of the hospital in Antalya which has a good reputation and a plastic surgery department.

No comments:

Post a Comment